How to Make Money Online: A Source of Confusion
Everyday, I get emails of close to a hundred from people I’ve signed up to. Yesterday was a typical day but inspiring, for me. I got an email from Crissy Heron of Indiebizchicks who was telling an interestingly familiar story.
It was about this lady at Facebook who expressed confusion about a bunch of courses that she had signed up to. These were mostly get-rich-quick sort of courses like “how to make $5,000 in 5 days.”
These courses stir you up with promises of making money online. Making $5K in 5 days? Oh, my. Who wouldn’t jump in?
How to Make Money Online: A Great To-Do List
But wait. There’s a missing piece: How do you actually make it happen?
Crissy’s response to this lady was, to me, priceless.
She shared with her a simple list of what needs to be done to make money online.
Her list consisted of the following:
- Buy a domain
- Get hosting
- Install WordPress
- Create a simple site
- Sign up for an email autoresponder service (Aweber, MailChimp, etc)
- Create an opt-in offer
- Start promoting your opt-in offer on social media
- Create great content - blog posts, valuable emails you send your list, videos, whatever you like to create
- Create more opt-in offers, to encourage more people to sign up for your mailing list
- Promote your content on social media
- Keep growing your email list
- Make offers for products or services.
How to Make Money Online: The Secret Sauce
However, there’s a secret sauce to all these. You have to take action!
In her email, she said that if we, her subscribers, had done any of it, we had to tick them off, and move on to the next thing.
I’m keeping this checklist close to my heart and make it my road map.
How to Make Money Online by Building a List
If you look into her list, what stands out and dominates the show is the creation of opt-in offers. You must create opt-in offers. That’s how you build your list. You keep it growing. Then, you continue making offers for products or services.
However, that could only happen if you’ve done the preps:
- Buying a domain
- Getting hosting
- Installing WordPress
- Creating a simple site
- Signing up for an email autoresponder service.
After that, you should are all set.
That said, I’d like to share that I’m close to finishing my freebie for my subscribers. Watch out for it!